Monday, September 15, 2008

Communication

I talk to all types of people, but the majority tends to lack communication skills.A lot of people qualify as a Narcissus,. Narcissism is the act of excessive interest in one's self. Narcissus was a beautiful youth who fell in love with his reflection while staring into a spring. and was forever changed. It is o.k. to love one's self to a point, but when it hinders your communication it's time to review yourself. I find while talking to certain people, I tend to either talk to,take at, talk up or talk down to or feel like I am talking to my self because the other party is still on his subject and hears nothing. Communication is defined as a giving or exchanging of information signals or messages by talk. However I find when I sit and listen intently to someone and then begin to speak, that person is still talking about ME[themselves. Is this done intentionally or are they missing some communication skills they were never taught or did not grasp as a child. Communication is similar to playing ball, you throw and catch, throw and catch. It would not be a bad idea if when someone tells you something, you could say " I understand what you are saying and relate on the topic to let your messanger know you comphrended the message. Too many people talk over someone else.Now about this talking to, talking down or talking up to someone means when I talk down it is usually someone lacking in communication. I usually agree with them and don't try to change the conversation. Now, talking up....that rarely happens to me except when I talk tomy doctor or my preacher or my respected elders. Mostly I love to "talk to' people., to close the conversationfeelin like I got my message accross and acknowedged what they told me..The next time you talk .....think....do I hear what they are saying? Have I been a good listener? If you "HOG" the whole conversation you are only thinking of yourself and you could become a Narcissus. You know, I even listen to a child's conversation. You would be surprised how skilled they are at receiviing and relaying you a message.,better than some adults. Listen, catch the message, relate to that, and take it from there. That way everyone feels even and communication lines are open....

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I know more then a few people like this. They are actually the ones missing out because when they do this, I just ignore them and get off the phone or out of the "so called conversation" as quickly as I can.