Sunday, February 22, 2009

Driving North on U.S. 23

Recently in Pike County we have added several lanes of traffic on u.s. 23 north of Pikeville....the roadthat leads to our business district, mainly Walmart. Well a lot of these people evidently do not know how to drive on more lanes than two. As I start driving north the lanes begin to widen and I know the far left lane is foe turning left or passing when it is safe. The middle lane is for through traffic and the right is for those turning right eventually. The people around here are all over the road, from left to right to right to left, pulling out in front of you, passing from one lane to another. It is so annoying. Also they tend to S.P.E.E.D. I will be going 45 and they will pass going 55 and if I speed up they go as fast as their car will go. I have seen some go 70's and 80's mph. This small stretch of highway is very dangerous and so many have been killed here. There are some very rude drivers also, giving you bad hand gestures and mouthing bad lanuage. Once at these red lights a guy made a esture at another and the guy got out of his car at the light and tried to beat his windows in. Also at Walmart they willpractically run over you if you get to park before someone else. Where did "PATIENCE"go? Good gosh what is the hurry? They are so rude and I try to pay them no mind and give them no eye contact. One evening at dark I was en route to Walmart and was nearing the red light, and out of nowhere a car whipped accross the 4-lane in front of me and my first thought was "Oh my gosh I am going to hit this car". I tried to stop, slamming on the brakes. The car proceeded on accross and booked it right on up the road in front of traffic. How he wasn't killed is beyond me. I called 911 and told them "A MANIAC" was loose on this road. They caught him and he was driving drunk. I was lucky it just busted out my front head lights and scared me. But once again someone had not obeyed the rules and had crossed the highway on a wrong turn-off. So many people are killed this way. I really am a cautious driver and I am quick to react. Soon my grandson will be driving and I really think he will makea very good driver. I have a lot of trust in him. All of my children are good drivers and obey all the rules and do not drink or dissobey the law. If everyone would drive defensively and watch out for the "other guy" they will arrive "alive" and always wearing their seat belts. Once a friend of mine was hit by a drunk, dopehead and is now serving 10 years in the penitentuary. Lucky, though injured, they lived through that, and thankful everyone in her car had on their seat belts. You never know what is up ahead so beware and slow down..it might just make a difference between your life and the life of others.............Well gotta go, happy driving, stay safe and put on those seat belts. Remember those "Blue lights" don't look too pretty when they are pulling up behind you....

1 comment:

Crystal said...

There are some crazy, insane drivers around here. It seems every time we leave out, there will be some nutjob beeping at us because we aren't going fast enough. (Fast enough to them is 85 in a 35mph zone!)

Be careful! There are so many nutjobs on the loose!