Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Poppy climbed the mountains

Our milk cow, Bossy was allowed to graze the hills high above the barn. I could see her white face shining in the sun, standing steadily on the side of the hill. I was always wary of her going too far away. The green grasses and shrubs reached all around on the hill. She was feasting on clover and wild greens. Poppy was plowing the corn field that day, keeping old joe, the mule going straight down the furrows. Poppy's straw hat kept the scalding sun from his eyes.He stopped once to get a dipper of water and waved at me. I was chasing a big ole bumblebee around the house till he turned on me and I ran inside. My sisters were braiding their long hair, taking turns putting in ribbons. Shucks with ribbons and bows, I had to keep an eye on ole 'Bossy'. I swept the backyard and picked up rocks and stacked the kindling. Poppy loved his kindling neatly stacked. By now 'Bosst was looking like a white dot upon the hill and I had to spring into action. Poppy said I could go herd her back this way so up the steep hillI trudged. I could climb that mountain better than a billygoat.Then the farther I got the farther Bossy traveled...until Bossy was out of sight. I was zigzagging up the hill very fast...no 'Bossy". She rarely made a sound anyway so when I called to her it was very quiet. In my haste I found myself in an unknown territory. There the mountainside was covered with sweet williams and tanglefoot. As far as the eye could see was a blanket of flowering shrubs too and lying under them was a family of deer, a papa, doe and a speckledfawn. They were asleep so I went farther around the hill. No "Bossy" could be found. I then saw a flight of quails rustling through the leaves, and a host of wild turkeys in flight. An elk made his way to the pond that was laden with lily pads and I saw frogs jumping about. I was thristy and cupped my hands together and got a drink from the running stream that ran through the rocks. It was so cold.I traveled on up the hill and looked for 'Bossy', but could not see her. a flock of doves circled the top of the hill. Then I saw in the distance a place I HAD NEVER SEEN....DOWN THE HILL WAS A BUNCH OF CABINS AND SMOKE BOILING UP FROM THE CHIMNEY. I was awed at knowing people were actually living accross the mountain from me. Then I spotted ''Bossy' at an old barn in the distance. I went down and quickly retrieved 'Bossy'. I had a rope with me and tied it around her neck and started upthe hill. A big black dog began to chase us out of sight. It was getting late and I knew Poppy would be worried, but in the distance I could see movement thru the trees and I saw my Poppy coming towards me and 'Bossy". I was happy and Poppy was too. Poppy picked me up and carried me high up in the air.He gave me a handful of blackberries. He lead 'Bossy back up and then down the hill. Back at the house I was welcomed by my sisters, their braids covered with bows and sashes.I was scratched up and dirty. My shoe bottoms were off , and my hair was full of burrs, but ole 'Bossy' was safe in the barn. Poppy had a big soup steaming and cold milk. We sat and ate together. What an exciting day on the farm when I was growing up......................................have a good day, readers from "The adventurous Irene'

No comments: