Friday, April 17, 2009

It's Hillbilly Days 2009

The excitement grew as the carnival and the venders moved in Pikeville .I drove down mainstreet the last trip as venders were right behind. They were working into the night. The next day I took a trip early and parked several blocks away. By now a crowd was parading through the streets. I immediately smelled the food...oh..tha fooood. Beautiful fresh barbecued meat and bright veggies, cotton candy, fried green tomatoes,pizza, gyros, nachos and greek food filled the air with the most tanalizin aroma.I entered the parking garage and browsed around, bought some fruity-pebbles and a leather billfold for my son David. Also I found him a picture on metal with a Dodge Charger RT-yellow in color and it was exactly like his own 1969 Dodge Charger he has . It is his prized possession. He may drive it sometime on Hillbilly Days-I think the crowd would go cr---azzy. Then I walked tothe boulevard and watched a bull-ride, mechanical of course. If one could stay on that bull 8 seconds he would win $200. No one could. I saw a big gal get thrown off to the approval of the bystanders. Then I collected a few freebies, inkpens, stickers, free water, flags, army lingo and info on a bunch of stuff. My grandson , in the meantime was at the carnival, getting tossed high in the air, getting an up-side view of life and probably holding back the puke. His cousin Lauren was riding everything too. They had a ball, staying in town till late. Well,I got a hotdog and chips and a coke and went to the park and watched a bunch of guitar players and dancers---well, dancing the best way they knew how, sometimes embarressingly. It was cool and I chilleda little. A young friend, a boy, Cody came by, gave me a bear hug and ask me for a cigarette.I told him if he remembered correctly--I donot smoke. He went thru the crowd and got one off of a man---he is a minor, but the guy never questioned his age...who cares. I had seen my daughter earlier with Lauren and a friend, walking hurridly through the venders. My legs got tired, as I haven't walked a lot lately. I also met up with Robin and Megan and their brood.Lil Jack was in his stroller and Memphis in hers. I got hugs from the boys. Antonio'sbirthday was that day.I shall get him something later. Crystal, John and the boys drove up to our house later. Gina and the kids had been in town, but I didn;t se them. Also David wentinto town and bought a lot of Rebel things. Tommy and I took a walk later in town again and ate in the park and listened to music. I think he had fun. Today I shall try it again. I think I like the excitement of the crowds, the glitz and glitter, seeing all the hillbillies, though the reality of a hillbilly is rerely reflected by the visitors. They use to dress up as country-fried ,billybob toothed, overalled, straw hatted, snagletoothed hillpeople. Slowly this stigma is fading. Very few old cars around. Use to the old trucks were smoking and honking and people hollered "Howdy"..Guess folks are changing. I hope to see Tony Cavelier , our weatherman in town today or in the parade Sat. Well, I'd better getmy lil rambler up. He will hit the town He have friends following him like the pied piper. He is a very good sport and they love . Trevez.I willfill u in on my venture later today...Happy Hillbilly Days 2009

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I'm so glad you had so much fun!!
I haven't got to talk to you much on the phone during this festival. Everyone has been so busy buzzing around and having a ball!

Oh didn't Hambley Blvd smell sooo yummy?!? Wish I had me some of that food right now! yum!