Sunday, March 1, 2009

Being A Switchboard Operator For Bell South

I have worked at many jobs but the one I liked most was being a switchboard operator. I worked there until they relocated out of my area. My switchboard was about one hundred feet wide and I had about 20 trunks to plug into. I could take my choice of area and believe it or not , the farther out, the more problems the callers had. Back then all of the numbers had to be marked on a card and all long-distance calls had to clear the operator. That was me.. I handled calls all over the USA and also ship to shore. I talked to technicians on the poles and handled calls from pay telephones...sometimes the callers at the booths left not paying and causing me to have no choice but to bill the call receiver. I worked every shift known to mankind...16 days straight...two split shifts a day. I remember rushing back to work on a hot July day and having to park blocks away, and having to run so I wouldn"t be late. When I got inside the operating room {switchboard room]it would be so icy cold I would take a quick chill and freeze . That room was soooo cold. I am a perfectionist when it comes to working and I had to get it down pat quickly. Well, I passed up "office average" on calls handled. I also had to handle a lot of harressing calls, a lot of flirts from all over the world and a lot of famous people called from here...one being a famous Ed Sullivan whom stayed at a local motel and needed to call somewhere in California. This was exciting, but I could not listen in on any calls...against the rule. Many hundreds of workers quit and others were hired while I was there. I loved my job. It was so much fun..I knew though when I went in on a call from Grethel, Harold, Virgie or Freeburn I was in for the long haul For some reason these callers were somewhat dumber than others in the Pikeville area. I liked the Pikecounty calls better.I have actually said the word "OPERATOR" thousands of times. Havin had this job really helped me so much through the years. I learned how to handle people through conversation and reasoning..and speed and accuracy. I also taught kindergarten..I still have my classes group pictures. They are all adults now and some still remember me. I also worked for a local gas company, in the office as a bookkeeper and out in the field for awhile getting meter charts. The meter houses were in the back woods. I was always by myself. I was not afraid. I have seen wild hogs, wild turkeys, wild horses, wild dogs and climber over hills and up mountains you would not believe. My boss would tell me 'that meter house is just a few steps up the hill"..Yea boy, it was....it was a mile up and talk about hyperventilating..Oh Yea Once I booked it up an old mining road without payin attention to where I was going and after I changed the charts, I looked around and suddenly :I WAS LOST". A man would laugh at me, but really I was totally lost. I started down the hill the wrong way and ran into a fenced in area all gnarled with brush and briars. I was scared then. I went back to the top again and tried to think coherently and to calm down. Above me the crows were circling around. I Just knew I was on their dinnerlist and I could imagine them pickin my eyes out. I had remembered a dozer was working at the bottom of the hill I had climbed. Well, I listened intently to see if I could hear that. I walked about and started walking about and down aain. I finally found the right path. When I got to the bottom of the hill the guy was getting off the dozer. He smiled and said " Did you have a nice walk?..I said "sure did'...I thought...I was lost, you big gallothe. But I smiled because I was so happy. Also once I left a big gate open to a pasture of cows. The meter house was behind there. My boss called and said there was a herd of cows walking down the road. Did I know that, he asked. I said I sure didn't. But, thinking back maybe I did leave the gate open. I could not agree to that. Another time one of my wheels came off my truck and I was driving on 3 wheels and didn'tknow till a passerby told me. Another time I walked through waist high snow. My pay was fabulous, but worth every dollar. I also got held hostage by a gang of hogs, big tall ones and very mean. I stayed up on a ladder till they went to sleep..and another time I accidently turned off everyone's gas up and down Shelby Valley. Well, I thought I was turning the right knobs. They all looked the same to me. I have had some adventures that I will not forget. I use to sell avons too. I did fabulous at this, not counting the times I got staked by a few drunks and big pit bulls behind the houses. They would come charging at me and I would "freeze". I was also left with a warehouse of avons that people did not pay for. I have had a great time teaching kindergarten. These 5 year old were so cute. I was only 18 and taking college classes and teaching in the county system. I finally completed all courses from Morehead. My students were my "babies". They clung to me like I was Mom. I had no children. We went on trips and enjoyed holidays. My favorite though was being a switchboard operator. Guess I just loved talkin to people all over the world. Oh well, my little Makenzie has arrived and she and I have a lot of things to do. She is my little red-haired granddaughter. Just thought I would fill you in on my working past. It was all fun. I stay busy now...I am rarely still a minute except when my blog calls me to write you a good one..............................Good Evening

1 comment:

Crystal said...

It all sounds so fun!
I didn't know you left a gate open and allowed all the animals to excape?? LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!

That is soooo funny!!!

And you turned everyone's gas off and on up and down ShelbyValley??? LAUGHING SO HARD!!!!! I love it! That is so funny!

I would have LOVED to have been a switchboard operator. When I worked at MTS and stayed on the phones all day, I LOVED every SINGLE minute of it! If I am ever to work again I will work in the telecommunication field. I must take it after you! I simply love it!